"Desktop application" has been launched for Mirai Translator
We will begin providing the new "desktop application" function on Thursday, December 9.
Mirai Translator runs in the background and can be accessed with shortcut keys, making it easier and faster to check translation results.
Any characters that can be copied as text can be translated, so it can be used to translate text from other applications such as websites and chats, dramatically expanding the use of Mirai Translator.
We have been offering a trial version since the summer of 2021, but thanks to customer feedback and improvements, it is now available as one of the official features of Mirai Translator.
■ Desktop application specifications
- Translation function: Text translation (up to 1,000 characters/time) (no file translation function)
- Languages: Japanese<=>English, Japanese<=>Chinese (Simplified/Traditional), and English<=>Chinese (Simplified/Traditional)*1
- User dictionaries, translation memories, profiles: N/A
- Personal dictionaries: N/A
- Translation model: Generic model
- Automatic source language determination function provided
■ Launch details
Launch date: Thursday, December 9, 2021
Plans: All plans*2
Usage applications: Not required. [Desktop App] will become available from the Mirai Translator (web browser version) side menu on the launch date.
*1 Some language directions may not be available depending on the subscription plan, content, status, etc.
*2 The desktop application may be disabled (not displayed) by default depending on the subscription plan, content, status, etc.
■ Procedure for using the desktop application
- (First-time only) Download and install from Mirai Translator (web browser version)
- (First time and then for a certain period of time after) Sign in using your Mirai Translator account information
- Select the text to translate
- Copy text using Ctrl+C (Windows) or ⌘+C (Mac)
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+ C (Windows) or ⌘+Shift+C (Mac) shortcut keys*3 to translate
- The desktop application is brought to the front and the translation results are displayed
*3 Shortcut key combinations can be changed on the "Settings" screen.
The administrator function can be used to disable the desktop application, if you want to prevent users from using the desktop application.
Refer to the following "■ Frequently asked questions" -> "Q: Can desktop application usage be restricted? " for the procedure to disable this.
Refer also to the following FAQ.
■ Frequently asked questions
Q: Is it possible to check the translation amount using the desktop application?
A: This can be checked using the [Usage History] administrator function in Mirai Translator (web browser version). However, it will be displayed as "text translation" and cannot be distinguished from content translated using the text translation function of the web browser version.
Q: (For Wordcount Fixed Rate Plan or a pay-as-you-go plan) Will I be charged for the amount translated using the desktop application?
A：You will be charged.
Q: Can desktop application usage be restricted?
A: The desktop application can be disabled (and enabled) on the system settings screen (administrator permissions) of Mirai Translator (web browser version). Refer to the following for information on switching.
Enabling the desktop application
Disabling the desktop application
Q: If there is an update, does each user need to update?
A: The application is automatically updated when it is started and no action is required by users, unless communication outside cannot be established in the proxy environment, etc.
Refer to the following for details on the desktop application.
Lower left of operation screen [Desktop App] > [Support] tab > [Manuals & FAQs]